Saturday, March 14, 2020

Self-help worship...doesn't.

I have a bad habit of being overly critical of worship music. Or maybe I should say had? I'm not sure, but I know The Lord has done a lot about that attitude over the years, and I no longer require things to be in my preferred key or style for me to worship the King of Kings. You may disagree after reading.

Now that I've said that, I'm about to be critical of worship music.

But maybe what I'm about to criticize isn't actually worship? At least maybe not worship of the Creator. Here goes.

It looks like Webster has a nice concise definition of the word for us to go on, so let's start there.

noun: worship
the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.

I've been noticing a tend in a lot (please note: not all) of recent worship music that while it still tends to express reverence and adoration for a deity, a lot of it tends to revere and adore a different deity: us.

I don't want to name names or pick on too many songs in particular here, but I just picked a very popular recent song and from beginning to end it had 43 self references. That's just the I's, Me's and My's. When you include instructional lyrics concerning the decibels of our worship, that adds another 31. So that's 74 references to ourselves and how we should be singing.

How many references to the deity we are supposed to be revering and adoring? 24. That's actually probably on the high end compared to some others that come to mind.

So there's that. There are also seemingly tens of thousands (OK, maybe not that many, but it sure feels like it!) of songs right now about giants being killed. Worship leaders seriously have it in for the giants right now. Sorry giants! Reminder: it's not about us.

Still we go on an on about breakthroughs, as though Jesus promises not only that he is with us, even to the end of the age (Matt 28:20), but also guarantees our preferred outcome to every struggle we may come across. Question: was it a breakthrough when most of the Jesus' disciples were martyred? Jesus himself promised that we will have trouble in this world (John 16:33), but he will be with us through it all, even if that trouble results in our end.

Here's the thing: when that trouble comes, I don't want to focus on myself. I don't do well with trouble. I want to focus on the one who is sovereign over everything that ever was, is and will be. Rom 8:28

There's an old Watashi Wa song with the lyric I have learned that depression comes when our eyes are on ourselves. I have both seen and experienced this more times than I'd care to admit. When things are low and life is hitting me with everything it can, the last thing I need is more of me.

Speaking as someone who is currently very much depressed, there is a great irony to this trend in worship songs.  They tend to have the opposite intended effect despite all the self-help lyrics.

When I finding myself singing about me, my breakthroughs, my giants and all the rest, I don't come away hopeful. I don't really come away any more empty than I was in the first place. But when I sing about Jesus and his goodness, his mercy, and the fact that he made himself man and died not just for me but for everyone and more importantly for his infinite glory and that he is coming back to make everything perfect in his eternal plan, then I come away full! Filled to the brim with comfort and joy in my smallness. That is the kind of worship my soul needs, and more importantly, it's the kind of reverence and adoration the King of all Kings deserves.

Psalm 148 English Standard Version (ESV)

Praise the Name of the Lord

148 Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord from the heavens;
    praise him in the heights!
Praise him, all his angels;
    praise him, all his hosts!
Praise him, sun and moon,
    praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens,
    and you waters above the heavens!
Let them praise the name of the Lord!
    For he commanded and they were created.
And he established them forever and ever;
    he gave a decree, and it shall not pass away.[a]
Praise the Lord from the earth,
    you great sea creatures and all deeps,
fire and hail, snow and mist,
    stormy wind fulfilling his word!
Mountains and all hills,
    fruit trees and all cedars!
10 Beasts and all livestock,
    creeping things and flying birds!
11 Kings of the earth and all peoples,
    princes and all rulers of the earth!
12 Young men and maidens together,
    old men and children!
13 Let them praise the name of the Lord,
    for his name alone is exalted;
    his majesty is above earth and heaven.
14 He has raised up a horn for his people,
    praise for all his saints,
    for the people of Israel who are near to him.
Praise the Lord!

No comments: